Google is sponsoring an “contest,” in part to celebrate its 10th year in business. It is looking for good ideas in the following categories:
- Community: How can we help connect people, build communities and protect unique cultures?
- Opportunity: How can we help people better provide for themselves and their families?
- Energy: How can we help move the world toward safe, clean, inexpensive energy?
- Environment: How can we help promote a cleaner and more sustainable global ecosystem?
- Health: How can we help individuals lead longer, healthier lives?
- Education: How can we help more people get more access to better education?
- Shelter: How can we help ensure that everyone has a safe place to live?
- Everything else: Sometimes the best ideas don’t fit into any category at all.
If an idea is chosen by Google, it will be funded for implementation.
Here are the criteria for judging:
- Reach: How many people would this idea affect?
- Depth: How deeply are people impacted? How urgent is the need?
- Attainability: Can this idea be implemented within a year or two?
- Efficiency: How simple and cost-effective is your idea?
- Longevity: How long will the idea’s impact last?
The deadline for submission of ideas is October 20. There is a submission form. Complete information on the program can be found here. Videos (no more than 30 seconds), can be submitted to supplement the application.